Read All Latest News

Funding From Municipal Owners Makes New Skatepark at West Shore Parks & Recreation a Reality

Funding From Municipal Owners Makes New Skatepark at West Shore Parks & Recreation a Reality

The five municipalities that own the lands at West Shore Parks & Recreation (WSPR) are excited to announce their combined contribution of $459,600 to help build a 13,000 sq/ft skatepark on the lower park at WSPR.

The breakdown for each municipal owner is based on converted assessment and is as follows: City of Colwood – $99,880, City of Langford – $239,325, District of Highlands – $16,785, District of Metchosin – $36,130 and Town of View Royal – $67,480.

This contribution equates to 36% of the overall project value of $1,279,900. The remaining 64% of the project funding has been secured through fundraising and in-kind contributions generated by the efforts of the West Shore Parks & Recreation Society and the West Shore Skatepark Coalition.

The Vancouver-based team of New Line Skateparks, in partnership with van der Zalm + Associates, Canada’s most experienced municipal skatepark design-build team, was selected in early 2022 as the Project Manager. The new park scheduled for completion in March 2023 will replace the previous Belmont Skatepark whose site was redeveloped in 2015.

“With the selection of the design-build company, moving forward with this exciting addition to the facilities of West Shore Parks & Recreation, the board and staff are excited to see this project move one step closer to completion for our communities. The combined contributions from the five owner municipalities shows the commitment local councils have towards recreation and the mental health of youth (and young at heart). As board chair, I want to extend my gratitude to staff, our owners and the community for supporting this fantastic initiative.” ~ Kyara Kahakauwila, Westshore Parks & Recreation Board Chair

The park will be a world-class skateable/rideable landscape destination that will feature a hybrid conceptual design aimed at being welcoming, inclusive, flexible, exciting, and memorable for all ages and abilities. The final design of the park can be viewed at


Simon Miles

Marketing Coordinator, WSPR

Direct: 250-474-8601


Latest News