Community Patrol Officer - Summer Bike Patrol (2 positions)
Would you like to be part of a dynamic, fast paced, award winning local government organization? A team that prides itself on providing cost effective local government services for local residents? Do you have the right attitude, qualifications and superior people skills for the job? If so, the City of Langford invites you to apply for an exciting summer position in Bylaw Enforcement!
The City of Langford Community Safety and Municipal Enforcement Department is seeking two (2) self-starting individuals for this public safety and patrol position. The Bike Patrol team serves as a front-line field contact with the public through the patrol and monitoring of City public places with a focus on diplomacy, providing public education as well as enforcement of City bylaws where needed.
In this position, you will have the opportunity to:
- Collaborate with other regulatory and safety agencies such as the RCMP and Fire Rescue to assist in emergency situations, and perform traffic and crowd control as required
- Regularly patrol Park sites, Trail networks and other public spaces, working in all-weather conditions and in various terrains – most often on bicycle or on foot
- Professionally provide information related to the interpretation and application of the City of Langford Bylaws and enforce bylaws through education, notices, tickets and charges
- Investigate complaints and incidents with a goal to resolve recurring offences
- Maintain notes and data, and prepare and deliver written and verbal reports
Qualifications for this position include:
- Completed (or enrolled in) law and law enforcement-based studies, such as JIBC Investigative Skills, Criminology Program Studies, Province of BC A/R/Cst Training, or RMO training
- Previous documented and related experience in successfully enforcing bylaws and regulations
- Superior communication (verbal and written), and customer service skills with ability to effectively deal with and resolve conflicts including those that may involve physical aggression of others
- Knowledge of and ability to use various computer word processing, programs and databases
- Physically fit and able to perform manual outdoor work in all types of weather conditions
- Must possess a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and OFA Level 1 First Aid certification
This is a full-time, temporary position with hours set to meet operational needs including nights, weekends and holidays. The hourly rate is $29.92 plus 13% in lieu of benefits and vacation.
Please submit your resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (identify the position you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail). Applications will be accepted until noon on February 17, 2023.
The City of Langford has implemented a Mandatory Vaccination Policy due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. All new hires are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.