Westhills YMCA-YWCA: Lifeguard/Swim Instructors
Nature and Scope:
The Aquatic Staff team provides high quality programs and services to our members and participants, and works as a member of the Health, Fitness and Aquatics program team. This includes maintaining a safe aquatic environment, educating the public regarding safe swimming habits, and providing progressive swimming instruction in the YMCA aquatic system. The hours of work are subject to change, and flexibility is required.
Permanent full-time positions qualify for a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 15 days vacation; paid sick days (as per policy – 18 per year, accrued); and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
• Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
• Extended Health Care
• Life Insurance
• YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year of continuous service)
Other benefits are outlined in the Y’s Personnel Policies.
(As relevant to the specific position with the Aquatic team)
• Provide excellent customer service to members, volunteers, and staff
• Ensure all safety and lifeguarding procedures are adhered to, and in the event of an emergency respond as trained by the Association
• Enforce all rules and regulations and maintain order in designated area as a proactive approach to ensuring safety and accident prevention
• Plan, organize and implement core lesson plans/daily lesson plans, progress reports and evaluations
• Maintain accurate, up-to-date progress sheets and records for participants
• Keep Daily Log up-to-date and accurate
• Set-up and take-down lane markers, program and other equipment as required
• Ensure that equipment is safe and in good repair (report immediately any malfunctions and remove any damaged equipment immediately)
• Maintenance and cleaning duties as required
• Assist in the supervision and leadership of assistant instructors and volunteers
• Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA-YWCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all members and staff
• Monitor commitment to service excellence by role modelling and maintaining YMCA SAM 2.1 standards Develops and maintain professional and courteous relationships with members and participants
• Contribute as a member of our staff team in the overall operation of the Westhills Y Branch, including performing other duties as assigned
• Current Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard (NL) certification required – Pool or Waterpark
• Current Lifesaving Society Airway Management and Oxygen Administration (AMOA) certification required
• Current YMCA Swim Instructor or Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification required
• Current Lifesaving Society Lifesaving Instructors (LSI) certification a strong asset
• Must be 16 years of age
• YMCA or BCRPA Aquafit certification a strong asset
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR C (SFA-CPR(c) certification required
• Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• The YMCA/YWCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated.
• Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
• Commitment to Health and Safety
• Customer Service
• Problem Solving
• Planning and Organization
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, indicating the position that you are applying for in the subject line of your email, to:
Human Resources YMCA-YWCA Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will remain open until suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.