Y Camp Thunderbird/Outdoor Centre: 1st Cook (2 Vacancies)
YMCA-YWCA Outdoor Centre / Camp Thunderbird (Sooke, BC)
Classification: Casual (seasonal).
Placement: April – September 2023
Wage Rate: $22.00 – $28.00 per hour (commensurate with experience)
Hours: Up to 40 hours per week.
Nature and Scope:
The 1st Cook provides excellence in leadership and support required for the operation in one of BC’s busiest YMCA-YWCA residential camps. Reporting to the Food Services Coordinator, the 1st Cook will support the menu planning, ordering, food preparation and staff supervision for our Food Services department during the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education seasons. This position will provide excellent customer service to all clients and families, school-based programs, and rental groups. This position will include food service for up to 150 people, supervising and supporting 2-4 staff members and ensuring a clean food preparation area.
YMCA-YWCA Camp Thunderbird is located in the Sooke area (approximately 8 km before Sooke from the direction of Langford/Victoria). Due to the seasonal peaks in our operation, the work schedule will flex to accommodate the needs of our clients (early morning, evening, and/or weekend shifts will be required). This is classified as a Casual position; the successful applicant will predominantly work a full-time schedule. This casual/seasonal position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership and 4% vacation pay.
• Assist the Food Services Coordinator in training and supporting staff in all aspects of food preparation according to FoodSafe standards, and to the quality standards of YMCA Canada’s Camping Quality Recommended Practices
• Ensure the timely preparation of high-quality meals for guests and staff
• Adhere to all Health and Safety policies and procedures, including ensuring that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained
• Accommodate a variety of dietary needs and allergies
• Support inventory, supplies ordering and menu planning processes
• Monitor food inventory and ensure that minimal waste is produced
• Order/purchase food supplies required
• Work effectively and as an active member of the staff team, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required.
• Food preparation training at a post-secondary facility or recognized technical/training centre. Professional experience may substitute for post-secondary training.
• FoodSafe Level 1
• Minimum of two years’ relevant work experience
• Supervisory experience preferred
• Experience in children’s recreational programs is preferred
• Clean Police/RCMP Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR C required
• Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required (2 doses).
• Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
• Customer Service Skills
• Service Orientation
• Problem Solving
• Planning and Organization
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.