Y Outdoor Centre Camp Thunderbird: Waterfront Team Leader
Waterfront Team Leader
Location: YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island Outdoor Centre/Camp Thunderbird (Sooke, BC)
Placement: May until Sept 1, 2023
Wage: $135.00 – 140.00/day (Commensurate with certifications and experience). No charge for Room and Board.
*NOTE: These positions are dependent on government funding, BC Provincial Health Orders and Guidelines (related to the COVID–19 pandemic) and sufficient registration levels.
Nature and Scope:
Team Leaders (TLs) are leaders and role models in the camp community, and support our front-line program staff, in the delivery of quality outdoor education and summer camp programs. They provide a range of support from direct program instruction to guidance and mentorship of counselling staff members. All staff participate in daily cleaning, maintenance, and janitorial duties.
Successful applicants will be energetic, motivated, organized, and capable of creating a positive sense of belonging for all participants. Team Leaders will be required to live on-site during our program season in rustic, shared accommodation, and may be required to provide care for children 24hrs/day. The requirement/availability of staff accommodation is dependent on continued approval of BC Health Authorities and standards set by the BCCA – if overnight camps are affected by COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, staff will need to have local accommodations.
These casual/seasonal positions are entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership and 4% vacation pay.
Waterfront Team Leader:
• Supervise and support the waterfront swimming program, including lifeguarding (NLS required)
• Communicate with, and respond to feedback from, Outdoor Education clients (teachers and group leaders) to ensure satisfaction with schedule, program delivery, meals and accommodation.
• Coordinate, plan and organize camp-wide resources and events such as all-camp days, special events and campfires.
• Performs administrative and organizational tasks related to their function.
• Provides support to section team leaders as required.
• All staff assist with cleaning, maintenance and food services tasks as required
• Contribute to day-to-day camp operations such as support of dining hall logistics (when in service) and/or meal supervision, direct supervision of groups of campers, and other duties as required.
Qualifications Required for All Positions:
• Clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
• Education: Enrollment or completion of post-secondary education in a related field is an asset.
• Successful applicants will have several years of day or overnight camping experience.
• Current Standard First Aid with CPR C or higher
• Current National Lifeguard (NL) certification is required
• The YMCA-YWCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated (minimum 2 doses of vaccine).
• Commitment to the Organization’s Vision and Values
• Planning and Organization
• Quality Focus
• Commitment to Health and Safety
To Apply: Please send an application form, cover letter, and resume, identifying the specific position(s) you are applying for, to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when suitable candidates have been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.