YMCA-YWCA Westhills : Maintenance Worker
Maintenance Worker (Weekends, plus Vacation and other coverage)
Westhills YMCA-YWCA (Langford)
Placement: November 2022 (October start negotiable)
Wage Range: $25.50 – $29.50 per hour
Hours: Variable (14 to 35 hours per week)
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is a dynamic charitable organization whose mission is to enhance individual and community potential through participation, learning and leadership. This Facility Maintenance staff provides services at the Westhills YMCA-YWCA facility, which includes a lap pool, lazy river, warm water therapy pools, waterslides, health and fitness facilities and equipment, multi-purpose rooms, and a childcare centre.
Nature and Scope:
The Casual Maintenance Worker role covers Saturday and Sunday opening shifts, as well as coverage for staff on vacation leave, holiday and other absences. The successful applicant must be flexible in work days and hours. Reporting to the Manager of Facility Maintenance (Westshore), the successful applicant will work in a “hands-on” capacity to ensure the buildings, systems, and equipment are in excellent condition in keeping with Association and YMCA Canada standards. This includes adhering to planned maintenance schedules for equipment and the facility, addressing any concerns that arise, undertaking emergency repairs, and assisting in related projects as assigned. Excellent customer service is an important aspect of the role, as this position will have direct contact with the public.
To ensure effective operational support, the successful applicant will be required to work shifts that assist in covering the facility hours of operation, and must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Utilizes Automated Building System and related software systems for maximum efficiency of the facility
• Undertakes preventat25.50ive and prescribed maintenance and repairs to building systems and equipment as directed by supervisor
• Ensures the safe and continual operation of the pools, whirlpool, sauna and steam room; including related equipment, chemicals and cleanliness as required by relevant legislation and Association standards
• Responds to work orders including maintenance and repair of cardio and strength equipment, plumbing, mechanical, carpentry and minor electrical repairs, fire safety and emergency equipment, and similar
• Takes appropriate action to rectify problems and make recommendations for improvements
• Follow all policies and procedures that ensure the safe, practical and efficient operation of the department
• Reports any and all maintenance issues to the Manager of Facilities Maintenance
• Liaise with and direct any outside service providers or contractors (as assigned by supervisor)
• Responds to all emergencies in the facility and ensures the safety of all members, property and self by following established Health & Safety practices and procedures and adheres to all Association policies and national YMCA cleaning and maintenance standards
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• Related building or mechanical trade certificate required, or equivalent education and experience
• Experience in pool operation an asset; Pool Operator Certificate 1 required (certification must be obtained within the first 6 months)
• Well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with participants, staff and volunteers; good written communication skills
• WHMIS training (any additional safety training is an asset)
• Familiarity with computerized facility management applications an asset; demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Windows and Office Suite required
• Commitment to the Mission of the Y, its diversity, and volunteerism
• Flexible availability including mornings, evenings, weekends and on-call
• A Police/RCMP Clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is required
• Current Standard First Aid with CPR C is required
• The YMCA-YWCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to the address below. Applications must specify the days and hours of availability:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: Shortlisting for this position will begin September 14, 2022. This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.