YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island: Financial Controller
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the CEO, and supported by a CFO on contract, the Financial Controller is responsible for full cycle accounting and supporting financial management across a complex and dynamic charitable organization with multiple locations and programs. As a member of both YMCA Canada and YWCA Canada federations, the Vancouver Island Y has been serving our region as an independent local organization since 1875, with a vision of Healthy people building strong communities.
We are looking for a dynamic, energetic and values aligned individual to steward our financial systems and help contribute toward the organization’s success in the next phase of our continued evolution. The Financial Controller is accountable for maintaining the Association’s financial records and management, including related administrative and organizational systems. This role provides support and offers technical advice while helping ensure that fiduciary requirements and standards for excellence and impact are met.
This permanent full-time position is entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 22 days vacation; and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
• Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
• Extended Health Care
• Life Insurance
• YMCA Canada Pension Plan (eligible after one year)
• Develops and maintains full cycle financial accounting and reporting including budget development, preparation of divisional and consolidated financial statements, management reports, financial analysis, and providing information on a timely, accurate basis.
• Supports coordination for the annual audit process and completes tax or statutory filings to ensure compliance with CRA charitable and tax legislation or for other regulatory bodies.
• Oversees cashflow management and planning, including maintenance of banking relationships and accounts, investments and borrowing, as well as all accounts receivable and payable.
• Ensures adequate financial and risk management controls are documented and centralized together with insurance and legal agreements.
• Ensures that related operating procedures and financial policies are up-to-date and adhered to; makes recommendations toward new policies and practices where necessary; remains current on relevant legislation and accounting guidelines and effectively implements required changes.
• Supervises the operations and functions of the accounting department, ensuring staff have the required skills, resources, direction and support.
• Provides support and advice to the CEO, CFO, and functional area leaders regarding decisions related to the operational and administrative infrastructure, including integration of information technology systems and financial details.
• Supports decision making and planning work related to capital projects and financial forecasting for different scenarios or new initiatives.
• Current professional accounting designation.
• Minimum 5 years progressive management experience including supervisory role.
• Proven experience in finance, accounting and auditing, including budget development and variance reporting, financial planning and management, and maintenance of internal controls.
• Well developed analytical and planning skills and initiative to provide advice, solve problems and implement improvements.
• Solid knowledge of CRA regulations and guidelines specific to registered charities an asset.
• Strong information technology experience including accounting software systems (Sage) and Microsoft Office with advanced Excel skills.
• Outstanding attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Evidence of a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector clearance, renewal required every three years.
• Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required.
To Apply: Please direct your cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: Shortlisting for interviews will begin on May 23, 2022. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has been selected.
2. Applications will be short-listed for interviews as they are received
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.