YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island: ECE Child Care Programs – Educator Float Position
ECE Child Care Programs – Educator Float Position*
(Downtown & Langford YMCA-YWCA Child Care Locations)
*Please note: This is NOT an on-call substitute position.
Position: Full-Time or Part-Time (20-40 per week)
• Candidates seeking part-time hours are asked to specify their availability
• Will accept applicants seeking a non-permanent / Seasonal role
Term Placement: Immediately
Wage: ECEA: $20.50/hour
ECE IT: $27.39/hour*
*Includes the $4/hour for qualified candidates as per MCFD’s ECE Wage Enhancement Program
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Childcare Supervisor, the ECE Program Float staff will work directly within the early childhood education programs, providing high quality care and creative programming for children in a group setting. This position requires flexibility and the ability to move between programs as needed. The successful applicant will provide coverage for staff who are absent from the workplace on vacation or other leaves. If no staff are absent, this position will provide additional support to one of the programs, as assigned by the Manager.
Working in collaboration with the child care team, this position is responsible for delivering play-based curriculum to children from 18 months to 5 years of age, ensuring that children are well-supervised and provided with developmentally appropriate and fun programming options.
In addition to the hourly wage, this position is entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership.
• To follow all YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures related to the guidance and care of children.
• To assist with the planning and implementation of a consistent child-centered program in accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, including play-based curriculum.
• To interact directly with the children, facilitating a healthy learning environment.
• To establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing quality customer service and building meaningful relationships within the community.
• To ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according to YMCA-YWCA and licensing requirements.
• To maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families, and staff.
• To work effectively and as an active member of the staff teams, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required.
• To attend all professional development sessions and other training as required.
• To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms.
• To release children only to those authorized by parent/guardian.
• Current ECE, ECE IT, or ECE Assistant License to Practice in BC required
• Infant Toddler/Special Needs Educator Certificate, or additional courses/training related to child growth and development are an asset.
• Experience working with children in a child care/recreation setting.
• Strong written and verbal and communication skills
• High level of organization and customer service skills
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required (Standard First Aid with CPR-C must be completed within the first month of employment)
• A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required*
*Note: Cost reimbursed.
• Must have full access to reliable transportation or a Transit pass.
• The YMCA/YWCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found; short-listing will take place as applications are received.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.