Being a paid-on-call firefighter is like having a part-time career. It takes dedication, determination, time and lots of hard work. You will be challenged physically and mentally to protect your community.
We are now recruiting for paid-on-call firefighters! Click here to view the posting and check out the FAQs below for more information on the application process.
paid-on-call firefighter requirements
All applicants must:
- Be 19 years of age or older
- Be NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level II certified
- Have a valid Class 5 BC Drivers License
- Have Grade 12 or GED
- Be in good health and physical condition
- Be able to participate in a minimum of three (3) 12-hour stipend shifts (overnights or weekends) per month
** Shortlisted candidates currently with other Fire Departments must receive consent from that Fire Chief to participate in Langford’s paid-on-call firefighter program.
Successful candidates will be required to pass a Police Information Check at a later date.
Training for all firefighters is on-going and intensive. In addition to regular training sessions, firefighters actively participate in additional courses (often weekends and other evenings) and train to maintain and expand their skills. Regular upkeep of your physical fitness is crucial to your health, safety, and success as a firefighter.