Juan de Fuca Royals Summer Swim Club: Assistant Coach
Position Classification: Contract Term ending August 30, 2024
Note – the JDF Royals provides generous swim meet compensation
Start Date: September 5, 2023
*Winter Maintenance – Tuesday and Thursday 4:00pm – 6:00pm, Sundays 8:45am – 11:00am
*Summer Program – weekday afternoons/evenings and weekends
*hours are subject to change and may include early mornings
Nature and Scope
Dive into an extraordinary summer opportunity as the Juan de Fuca Royals Assistant Coach in the exciting Westshore of British Columbia (BC). The Juan De Fuca Royals Swim Club, a prominent and rapidly growing summer swim club associated with the BC Summer Swimming Association, is seeking a dynamic and dedicated Assistant Coach to join our team starting September 5, 2023. You bring a proven track record of success and are committed to creating a positive and supportive environment for swimmers. Your dedication and enthusiasm to fostering both a supportive and fun environment for swimmers of various abilities and commitment levels is contagious.
The Juan De Fuca Royals are based in Victoria BC and train at the Westshore Parks and Rec Centre located in Colwood, BC . Nestled amidst stunning natural landscapes and offering a plethora of recreational activities, the Westshore region provides a perfect balance between work and leisure. Our swim team is comprised of approximately 70 diverse swimmers, with participants from novice to division 8, including regional and provincial competitors. We have consistently attended the BCSSA Provincial Championships and we expect to grow our presence at this level. A reliable vehicle and the ability to travel independently on Vancouver Island and to Provincials is required.
As the Assistant Coach, you will play a pivotal role in the development and success of our swimmers and as a part of our coaching team. Key responsibilities include:
- Implement a comprehensive swimming training program as directed by the head coach. This includes both pool and dryland workouts.
- Be a supportive member of the coaching team, participate in providing open communication and accepting feedback to foster professional growth.
- Set individualized goals for swimmers based on their abilities, aspirations, and competition levels.
- Assist in organizing and participating in team social events, and team-building exercises to create a sense of camaraderie and unity among swimmers year-round.
- Create a positive and enjoyable environment for swimmers of different abilities and commitment levels.
- Demonstrates strong leadership, organizational, and communication skills.
- Acts as a positive role model to all swimmers, exhibiting enthusiasm, energy, and a high level of commitment.
- Ensures commitment to all practices and swim meets during the summer season.
- Respects and adheres to the BCSSA Coaching Code of Ethics and all club policies.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 6 months coaching at a developmental or assistant coach level in a competitive environment, coupled with a background as a competitive swimmer.
- Minimum certification of NCCP Fundamentals Coach Trained or higher preferred.
- National Lifeguard Certification preferred.
- Ability to provide a current criminal record check including vulnerable sector screening (for applicants 19 years of age and older).
Standard First Aid including CPR-C preferred.
- Strong leadership, organizational, and communication skills.
- Exudes a contagious, passionate, love for summer swim club.
How to Apply