Online Permit Application Submission Now Available
BC Energy Step Code
Building permits are issued for, but not limited to, construction projects that involve:
- Erecting any new structure greater than 10 m2 or 107 ft2
- Adding floor area and/or components to an existing structure
- Finishing or altering the interior and/or exterior of a structure
- Moving or demolishing a structure
- Any installation, alteration, or repair of a plumbing or fire sprinkler system (Plumbing permit)
Prior to applying for a building permit, you must ensure that your project meets the proper Zoning requirements. For more information, please visit the Planning and Zoning webpage or contact the Planning department at email@example.com.
BC Energy Step Code – Important changes that will affect all permit
applications starting May 1st, 2023.
As part of the CleanBC Plan, the Province of BC now requires residential construction to be 20% more energy efficient than those built to the 2018 BC Building Code. This will apply to building permits applied for starting May 1, 2023.
additional resources and links