BC Energy Step Code – Important changes that will affect all permit applications starting May 1st, 2023.
As part of the CleanBC Plan, the Province of BC now requires residential construction to be 20% more energy efficient than those built to the 2018 BC Building Code. This will apply to building permits applied for starting May 1, 2023.
Learn about what Part 9 Buildings Step 3 and Part 3 Buildings Step 2 mean for you by learning about the Steps, speaking to an Energy Advisor, and exploring the resources below.
Building permits are issued for, but not limited to, construction projects that involve:
- Erecting any new structure greater than 10 m2 or 107 ft2
- Adding floor area and/or components to an existing structure
- Finishing or altering the interior and/or exterior of a structure
- Moving or demolishing a structure
- Any installation, alteration, or repair of a plumbing or fire sprinkler system (Plumbing permit)
Prior to applying for a building permit, you must ensure that your project meets the proper Zoning requirements. For more information, please visit the Planning and Zoning webpage or contact the Planning department at email@example.com.
additional resources and links