Langford Westhills Y: Early Childhood Educator or ECE Assistant
February 7, 2023
Early Childhood Educator or ECE Assistant
Westhills YMCA-YWCA (Langford, BC)
Position: Permanent Full-Time*
Placement: Immediate (Note: start date is negotiable)
Hours: 40 hours per week*
Wage: ECE: $27.21/hour** (plus benefits – see Compensation below)
ECE IT: $28.33/hour** (plus benefits – see Compensation below)
ECE-A: $21.32/hour (plus benefits – see Compensation below)
NOTES: *Candidates seeking a reduced work week can make that request on their application
**This wage rate includes the additional $4/hour provided by MCFD’s ECE Wage Enhancement Program (for qualified candidates).
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Child Care Supervisor, the Early Childhood Educator will work directly within the program, providing high quality care and creative programming for children in a group setting. Working in collaboration with the child care team, Educators are responsible for delivering the play-based curriculum to children from 30 months to 5 years of age (with occasional support to the toddler program). They will ensure that children are well supervised and provided with developmentally appropriate and fun programming options.
This permanent full-time position is entitled to a YMCA-YWCA individual membership; 15 days paid vacation; paid sick days (as per policy); and a cost-shared benefits package (after completion of the probationary period) which includes:
• Health Care, Drug Plan, Dental, Vision, EAP
• Extended Health Care
• Life Insurance
• YMCA Canada Pension Plan (as per eligibility requirements in the plan)
Other benefits are outlined in the Personnel Policies.
If the following sounds like a good day at work, then this job might be for you!
• Actively participate in programs with children, while being able to coordinate care and meet the demands of staff, children, and families
• Support and deal with sensitive member family experiences and situations, children’s behaviors
• Establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing quality customer service and building meaningful relationships
• Actively ensure licensing standards and safety standards are maintained for all childcare settings and outings
• Execute behaviour care plans, utilizing a child-centered approach by engaging parents and other Y staff
• Follow all YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures related to the guidance and care of children
• To assist with the planning and implementation of a consistent child centered, emergent play-based program in accordance with YMCA-YWCA standards, including YMCA Playing to Learn curriculum standards
• To attend all professional development sessions and other training as required
• To maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms
• Current ECE or ECE-IT License to Practice in BC is required
• Special Needs Educator Certificate, or additional courses/training related to child growth and development are an asset
• Experience working with children in a child care/recreation setting
• Strong written and verbal and communication skills
• High level of organization and customer service skills
• Current First Aid and CPR required
• A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required*
• A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required*
*Note: Cost reimbursed.
• Must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination (2 doses)
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found; short-listing will take place as applications are received.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.