Y Camp Thunderbird/Outdoor Centre: Prep Cooks (4 vacancies)
YMCA-YWCA Outdoor Centre / Camp Thunderbird (Sooke, BC)
Position: Casual (seasonal)
Placement: April – September 2023
Wage Rate: $18.00 to $24.00 per hour (commensurate with experience)
Hours: Up to 40 hours per week.
Nature and Scope:
The Prep Cook provides support required for the operation of one of BC’s busiest YMCA-YWCA residential camps. Reporting to the 1st Cook, the Prep Cook will support the food preparation and clean up processes for our food services department during the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education seasons. This person will provide excellent customer service to all clients and families, school-based programs, and rental groups.
YMCA-YWCA Camp Thunderbird is located in the Sooke area (approximately 8 km before Sooke from the direction of Langford/Victoria). Due to the seasonal peaks in our operation, the work schedule will flex to accommodate the needs of our clients (early morning, evening, and/or weekend shifts will be required). This is classified as a Casual position; the successful applicant will predominantly work a full-time schedule. This casual/seasonal position is entitled to an individual YMCA-YWCA membership and 4% vacation pay.
• Food preparation according to FoodSafe standards and to the quality standards of YMCA Canada’s Camping Quality Recommended Practices
• Accommodate a variety of dietary needs and allergies
• Adhere to all Health and Safety policies and procedures, including following all safety standards
• Support inventory, supplies ordering and menu planning processes
• Cleaning of food prep and dining areas
• Some dishwashing
• Work effectively and as an active member of the staff team, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required
• FoodSafe Level 1 – preferred
• Previous relevant work experience
• Experience in children’s recreational programs is preferred
• Clean Police/RCMP Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• Current Standard First Aid and CPR C required
• Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required (2 doses).
• Commitment to Organization Vision and Values
• Commitment to Health and Safety
• Service Orientation
• Problem Solving
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.