YMCA-YWCA Westhills: Early Childhood Education Program – Substitute / On-Call Positions
Early Childhood Education Program – Substitute / On-Call Positions
Locations: Downtown or Westhills YMCA-YWCA
Wage: ECEA: $21.32/hour
ECE IT: $28.33/hour*
*Includes the $4/hour for qualified candidates as per MCFD’s ECE Wage Enhancement Program
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Child Care Supervisor, the Early Childhood Educator, ECE IT Educator, or Early Childhood Educator Assistant (ECE/ECE IT/ECEA) Substitute will work directly within the early childhood programs, providing high quality care and fun, creative programming for children in a group setting. Working in collaboration with the child care team, Substitutes are responsible for supporting children from 10 months to 5 years of age. They will ensure that children are well-supervised and provided with developmentally appropriate and fun programming options, in keeping with play-based curriculum/philosophy. This role is classified as a Casual position, and the staff in these positions are entitled to complimentary individual YMCA-YWCA membership.
• To read, understand and follow all YMCA-YWCA policies and procedures related to the guidance and care of children
• Assist with the planning and implementing of a consistent child-centered program in accordance with YMCA-YWCA and CCFL standards, including play-based curriculum standards
• Interact directly with the children, facilitating a fun and healthy learning environment
• Establish and maintain positive daily communication and interaction with families, providing quality customer service and building meaningful relationships within the community
• Ensure that all safety and supervision standards are implemented and maintained according to licensing and YMCA-YWCA requirements
• Maintain confidentiality of all information related to the centre, the children, their families, and staff
• Attend professional development sessions and other trainings as required
• Maintain a neat, orderly, and clean environment, including all activity areas and washrooms
• Release children only to those authorized by parent/guardian
• Work effectively and as an active member of the staff team, assisting with other duties and responsibilities as required
• ECE, ECE IT, or Early Childhood Educator Assistant License to Practice in BC required
• Experience working with children in a child care/recreational setting
• Strong written, verbal and communication skills
• High level of organization and customer service skills
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required (Standard First Aid with CPR-C must be completed within the first month of employment)
• A clear Ministry of Justice Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required
• A clear Police/RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening required*
*Note: Cost reimbursed after successful completion of the probationary period.
• Must provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination (2 doses).
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to:
YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island
1. Application Deadline: This posting will close when a suitable candidate has been found; short-listing will take place as applications are received.
2. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this position.
3. We thank all applicants, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of Vancouver Island is an equal opportunity employer.